About you: You are an experienced front-end web developer, and you want to put your skills to good use – helping progressive organisations to communicate their knowledge and ideas online.
- Systematic/component-based approach to both templating and SASS structure
- Experience with semantic, accessible HTML and/or Twig
- General JS/ES6 knowledge
- Demonstrable experience theming for medium to large organisational websites
- Build tools like gulp/webpack/npm
- Comfortable with CSS tools like flexbox, grid, and variables
- General PHP knowledge*
* You would always have the support of a back-end developer, but WordPress templates in particular have some level of PHP. You should be comfortable and able to deal with this.
- Drupal 8+ and/or WordPress theming experience
- SASS following BEM principles and structured following ITCSS architecture
- ES6/JS for interactions
- Dealing with accessibility issues
You are happy to work independently on the front-end but aren’t afraid to ask for help when you encounter tricky issues, and you’re always willing to help colleagues to find solutions. You are happy to work closely with a back-end developer to develop the full site.
You stay on top of new trends and innovations in web development and find ways to apply them to your own work.
You must have fluent written and spoken English.
About the job: The mid-weight front-end web developer will be part of an eight-strong in-house team of developers, led by our head of web development. You would report to the front-end technical lead. You will also collaborate closely with other colleagues, including project managers, digital designers and content strategists.
The main focus of the job is to develop the front-end of new websites and other digital products. Most of our digital projects involve the delivery of an organisation’s main website, but we also build smaller sites and other products, including our flagship online Reader. You can see many examples of our past work on our website (https://www.designbysoapbox.
We expect all our staff to act autonomously and take responsibility for their own projects – with support when they need it, of course – so they can feel a personal sense of accomplishment when we successfully complete a piece of work.
The majority of our projects are built in WordPress or Drupal 8/9. You do not necessarily need to have experience in either and we will provide training to the successful candidate.
You can work from either of the two studios – in London or in Bath – depending on the applicant’s preference. We are also open to fully remote team members.
What we offer:
- Flexible working hours and policy
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay
- Holiday allowance of 25 days per year (plus public holidays and additional days off over the Christmas period)
- Matched pension contributions
- Regular social activities
- Cycle and tech loans
On the rare occasions when you’ll have to work overtime, we’ll make sure you get the time back.
About us: We’re a design and digital communications agency focused on ideas that matter. We work with many of the world’s leading charities, NGOs and research organisations. Our main services include publication design, digital design and development, branding, information design, and film and animation.
We are a flexible and fair employer and our values run through everything we do, from the clients we work with to the way we treat our staff.
We are a close-knit, hard-working and ambitious agency with a growing roster of clients around the world. We have an informal all-agency meeting via video conference each week and there’s a calendar of staff events across the year, including a summer picnic and Christmas walk.
We have two studios – one with stunning views over the City and East End in Whitechapel, and the other on the banks of the Avon in the centre of Bath. Both studios have been fitted out to a high standard, with excellent social spaces. We also have a small team in Washington DC.
If that sounds appealing, get in touch.
How to apply: Email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com, along with any relevant examples of your work.