We’re looking for a digitally savvy senior brand designer who wants to work on projects with social progress at their heart. In this role, you’ll be hands-on with some of our biggest projects and help to own our branding practice.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- Getting involved in a diverse range of projects, working with some of the world’s leading mission-driven policy, research and advocacy organisations.
- Delivering work of the highest standards that solves challenges, pushes boundaries and drives the sector forward. You’ll also be supporting designers working on similar projects across the studio to help them to do the same.
- Getting stuck into projects at every stage – from facilitating workshops to designing visual identities to developing brand guidelines.
- Collaborating closely with our head of web and brand design to create cohesive brand systems that work harmoniously both in print and on screen.
- Working together with our brand strategist and other team members to evolve our approach, champion the discipline, advise colleagues and grow the practice.
- Playing a role in winning new business, working with colleagues on quotes, proposals and pitches.
- Taking charge of our own Soapbox brand, as well as contributing to the development of the agency’s marketing, strategy and creative vision.
Here’s the sort of skills and experience you’ll have
- You’ll have a track record of working on large-scale branding projects and a number of years of experience under your belt.
- You’ll be comfortable working on multiple projects at once and happy taking ownership and responsibility for your own work.
- You’ll understand how to design comprehensive brand systems that span touch points – as a bonus, you’ll have knowledge of interaction and motion design.
- You’ll have a solid understanding of the technical and financial implications of your decisions, and an in-depth knowledge of how your work can be applied across all mediums and platforms.
- You’re conceptually minded, with a keen interest in understanding and exploring a brand’s strategic foundations.
- Strong typography, craft and an eye for detail are part of your design DNA. But you’re also a versatile practitioner, able to adapt your approach and style to match a brief.
- You’re comfortable communicating directly with clients. You have experience explaining your design decisions and presenting creative work.
- You’re happy working with others as part of a team but also enjoy the freedom and autonomy to find your own solutions.
The role is normally based in our Whitechapel studio, which is still open for a limited number of staff. We are currently offering optional remote working due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but plan to return to our studio at least on a part-time basis (three days per week) by the beginning of November.
Here’s a bit about us
Soapbox is a creative studio for ideas that matter. We partner with forward-thinking organisations to turn knowledge and evidence into social progress. We are designers, web developers, writers, thinkers, storytellers and problem-solvers. We are passionate about the power of ideas and evidence to build a better world.
We are a flexible and fair employer and our values run through everything we do, from the clients we work with to the way we treat our staff. This has helped us to build a close-knit, hard-working and ambitious team. Many of our colleagues have worked with us for a large part of their career, advancing professionally over their years with us. And our growing roster of clients include many of the world’s leading charities, NGOs and research organisations.
Note that our planned return to studio working in November will be subject to government guidance and our own risk assessment. We do not expect employees to return to the studio full-time until well into 2022 and we will be happy to consider applicants who want to work from home (at least some of the time) on an ongoing basis.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and know that including employees with a diverse range of perspectives and experiences will improve the quality and creativity of the services we provide. We particularly welcome applications from candidates who are members of groups that are currently under-represented at Soapbox, including LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people from minority ethnic and religious communities.
Here’s what we offer
We offer a competitive salary and a good benefits package with some great perks, including:
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus a three-day Christmas closure and public holidays. You’ll get your birthday off too.
- Cycle-to-work scheme, tech loans and season ticket loans.
- Flexible working around core hours (10am–4pm) with the possibility of hybrid working (splitting your time between home and the studio).
- Generous parental leave and other family-friendly policies.
- A calendar of regular social events.
- Matched pension contributions.
- Barista quality coffee, snacks and fresh fruit.
On the rare occasions we ask you to work overtime, we’ll make sure you get the time back.
Here’s how to get in touch
Think you’d be a good fit? Please send your portfolio, CV and a few words about why you think you’d be a great for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org